Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Poem for a boy

You look at me, you smile
I look back and smile even bigger.
You flirt, you tease, you talk, you help
You laugh at my jokes, then move on to someone else.
I see you flirting with her, the one you like
I look at her, wondering what you see in her that I don't have.
And so I start to change.
I work harder, try harder, talk to other people hoping that by not paying as much attention to you you might notice me for once.
I know what everyone says, don't change yourself just so someone will like you,
but what if that change is good?
What if by trying to get you to notice me, I become a better person?
But then I look at how jealous I get, and I the know the answer; If I were really a good person, I wouldn't be jealous of anyone, not even her, the girl you notice,
the girl you like.
So I wait until the day comes when I am finally over you, when I find someone who will love me back for me, someone for whom I won't have to change myself.
And all the while I can't help but think to myself in the dead of night
that all this is going to take a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment